Monday, September 15, 2014

Zuppa Toscana- Spicy Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soup





I've seen so many "Olive Garden copycat" recipes for Zuppa Toscana floating around that I finally decided to give it a try. And, I must say, after altering the recipe quite a bit I thought this was a fabulous soup! 

It really hit the spot for me tonight.... sausage, potato slices and kale in a creamy broth with just the right amount of kick! Plus, I served it with my homemade Vienna white bread that I am trying to perfect. The whole meal was just so delicious! Very simple to make and I whipped the whole thing out in 30 minutes. What more could you ask for, right?

Anyway, here is my version of the recipe:


Recipe:

1/2 lb. sausage
5 medium russet potatoes, washed and sliced thinly
3 cups kale, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, cut thinly
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth
3-4 cups water
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes 

Cook sausage in a pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

In a large pot combine potatoes, onion, garlic, chicken broth and water over high heat until it starts to boil. Turn heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are slightly tender. 

Add the cooked sausage and red pepper flakes and simmer on low for another 8-10 minutes. 

Add the chopped kale and heavy cream and continue to heat on low until the soup is completely heated through.

Serve immediately. 






1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks amazing! I'm going to try this. And your photography is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete